Sunday, December 11, 2011

Study in Japan, work around the world (part 3): A proud graduate of APU becomes a happy worker at Nissan

For part three of the four-part Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU) interview series, the subject is Abdoulaye Ditie from Mali in West Africa. Ditie graduated from APU in 2005 and now works for Nissan in Japan. Let us find out how he found his career path through APU.
News photo

Q: What triggered your interest in Japan, and how did you first come over?

Ditie: When I was a high school student, I learned that Japan was defeated in World War II. The people had no food, no resources, just nothing. But then, I was surprised to find out that within a few decades, the country rebuilt itself and became one of the most powerful nations in the global arena. I became very interested and wanted to learn more about the country. The more I found out about the country, the more I came to like the country. I literally fell in love with Japan.

But Mali used to be a French colony and I had done all my studies in French. There was absolutely no chance for me to study in Japan. A French university accepted me, so I originally planned to go there.

Then, another event occurred, as my older brother was transferred to Japan for work. Concurrently, APU offered me a scholarship covering most of the tuition and supporting my living expenses. On top of that, APU fulfilled my requirements almost 100 percent. Hence, I was able to enter APU in 2001.

Q: Did your impression of Japan change after you arrived?

Ditie: Actually, I came to love the country and its people even more. Japanese people are very friendly. They are hardworking, polite, respectful and always try to understand other people's feelings.

Q: What did you study at APU, and how was your campus life?

Ditie: I majored in management. The school was the ideal environment to study and interact with students from around the world. It was also very practical for not only focusing on studies, but also making us think and plan about our career and life after college. There also was a good mix of professors, some from the academic field, and others with a business background. In that way, we became both academic and practical.

I wanted to study in English, and APU provided the perfect setting for that, too. I also wanted to study Japanese. Again, APU allowed me to do so. I had a further quest to learn a third language, so I took some Spanish classes.

We didn't concentrate merely on our studies, either. We also were active in various club activities. I was especially interested in volunteer activities, and my club visited many orphanages and elderly care homes. That was another great learning opportunity for me.

All in all, I am proud of having graduated from APU.

Q: Why did you choose to find work in Japan after graduation?

Ditie: I think everybody at school asks themselves at some stage, whether they want to proceed to a graduate school or start working. I wanted to be practical, so I decided to work. But I knew that finding a job in Japan was very difficult, especially for a foreigner.

The APU Career Office was very helpful in the job-hunting process. First, it provided a lot of support. The career office held job interview rehearsals and guidance on how to write a proper resume, for example. Second, I found the career office's on-campus recruiting system exceptionally good. It held guidance sessions for leading Japanese companies seeking top students just graduating from college. At that time, around 80 companies came to APU to give presentations. I hear that figure has risen to over 400 today.

On-campus recruitment is also meaningful because it helps reduce the students' costs. It becomes pretty expensive and time-consuming if you have to travel to Tokyo or Osaka and stay there for some time during your job-hunting activities.

Q: What made you decide to work for Nissan, and how do you like it?

Ditie: I was fortunate to receive job offers from three different companies. Among them, Nissan was most specific on what I would be doing after entering the company. That perfectly matched with what I wanted to do. In addition, the company allows you to shift careers at any time.

Another point that urged me to join the company was that the Nissan Patrol (known as the Safari in Japan) was the car I liked best when I was in Mali. Hence, I felt as though it was my destiny to join Nissan.

Nissan is fantastic. Inside, you find the true greatness of the company. Everybody works very, very hard, and the workers never give up. People are friendly, and there is a good human relationship.

During my first three years, I was involved in global logistics planning. Then I wanted to be closer to the field and, upon my request, I was transferred to the Oppama plant. It is known for making the Nissan electric car Leaf. Now I am in charge of production control. We plan the vehicle production and procure high-quality parts from all over the world.

I am putting into practice what I learned at APU. You collaborate with all departments within the company, as well as numerous people around the world.

Q: What would you like to do next and in the future?

Ditie: First, I want to go to other emerging countries and start up the Nissan business from scratch. I want to use the knowledge I acquired in Japan and apply it to a different environment.

Eventually in the future, I want to work in Africa and be a role model. To be a role model, mostly you have to become either a politician or a successful businessman. I would go for the latter because I believe that if I work very hard and never give up, I can do it.

Ultimately, in whatever condition or environment, you always should be yourself, while being respectful of others. After all, everything depends on you.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/global-career-viewpoint.html?date=20111128

No comments: